Today Utility Team is proud to announce that we are taking responsibility for creating a healthier planet for our customers, suppliers and our employees and their families. As one of the UK’s leading energy consultancies, we are in a unique position to significantly reduce the amount of carbon our customers, suppliers, and employees put into the atmosphere. We know we must lead by example and that is why we are making the following pledges:
Pledge One: Utility Team will be a fully net zero organisation by December 31st, 2025.
Pledge Two: Utility Team will remove its historic carbon footprint by December 31st, 2028.
Why are we doing this?
The scientific evidence is clear; the planet’s temperature has risen and will continue to rise without action. The target set out in the Paris agreement was to limit global warming to well below 2, preferably to 1.5 degrees Celsius, compared to pre-industrial levels. We have already seen a rise of 1 degree; therefore, we have to act now.
We believe that everyone needs to take responsibility for stopping the potentially catastrophic environmental impact of carbon emissions. Over the last few years, we have successfully moved a number of customers to renewable energy sources and also developed the ground-breaking Revolving Green Fund. This has seen a growing number of our customers invest in green technology solutions to reduce their carbon emissions.
Whilst this has had a positive impact, we felt that we needed to step up our commitment, and that is why we are announcing our net zero pledges and outlining how we will achieve it.
How are we going to achieve this?
Having targets is one thing; you need a plan to achieve these. The board of Utility Team has committed to the below milestones for Pledge One:
- By December 31st, 2021, we will have achieved a pro rata 50% reduction in business mileage against our 2019 benchmark.
- As of January 4th, 2021, all existing and prospective customers will receive a renewable energy price within their pricing submission.
- 15% of our customers electricity contracts will be using renewable electricity by 31st December 2021.
- Utility Team will be powered by 100% renewable electricity by December 31st, 2022.
- To be a Utility Team supplier, you will need to be signed up to the future Net Zero standard by December 31st, 2022.
- As of January 1st, 2022, all employees will be allocated 2 days a year to volunteer to support a green charity initiative.
- Electric Vehicle Charging points will be installed at Utility Team Head Offices in Coventry in 2022.
- All Business Development Managers will be incentivised to drive electric vehicles when on company business by 31st December 2022.
- 25% of our customers electricity contracts will be using renewable electricity by 31st December 2022.
- 50% of customers our electricity contracts will be using renewable electricity by 31st December 2023
- All Business Development Managers will be required to drive electric vehicles when on company business by 31st December 2023
- As of January 1st, 2023, all staff will be incentivised by the company to drive an electric vehicle
- As of January 1st, 2023, all staff will be incentivised to power their homes via renewable energy
- 75% of our customers electricity contracts will be using renewable electricity by 31st December 2024
- Utility Team will be powered by 100% Green Gas by 31st December 2024
For Pledge Two, the board of Utility Team has committed to the below milestones:
- Identify our historic carbon footprint, including energy and travel
- Begin carbon offsetting projects to remove historic carbon emissions.
- Maintain the carbon offsetting programme until all historic carbon emissions have been removed.
All of the above actions have hard deadlines; however, we will be attempting to beat them. After all the faster we act, the sooner the planet’s atmosphere will stabilise. We recognise that it is easy to write a plan, but it’s harder to deliver it. Accountability is a core value of the organisation, so we will be reporting our net zero performance quarterly.
Delvin Lane, CEO of Utility Team, said “The challenge of net zero is one that has to be met head-on and we are uniquely placed to help businesses do that. We are determined to drive meaningful change that reduced carbon emissions. We recognise that it will not be easy, however, we are excited by the challenge. The Board is passionate about leading by example and proving that a move to net zero not only makes environmental sense but also delivers commercial benefits.”
To find out more about our commitment to net zero and our net zero services please visit www.utilityteam.co.uk/our-commitment-to-you-and-our-planet, email [email protected] or call Toby Costar on 07731 969118.